Heart and Stroke (learn more…)
- 1 in 4 Canadians will contract some form of heart disease.
- Heart disease costs the Canadian economy approximately $19 billion every year as a result of medical services, hospitalization expenses, loss of income and loss of productivity.
- Obesity substantially increases one’s risk of heart and stroke related problems.
Heart Attack and Cardiac Arrest
- 75,000 Canadians suffer heart attacks each year.
- Half of all heart attack victims are under 65 years old.
- 16,000 Canadians die each year as a result of heart attacks.
- Roughly 45,000 cardiac arrests occur each year in Canada.
- For every 1 minute delay in defibrillation, the survival rate of a cardiac arrest victim decreases by 7-10%.
- Stroke is the third leading cause of death in Canada. 6% of all deaths in Canada are due to stroke.
- 50,000 Canadians suffer a stroke each year.
- 75% survive the initial event, however 60% of stroke victims who survive will be left with a disability – specifically a neurological disability.
- Approximately 300,000 Canadians are currently living with the effects of stroke.
Posted in: Medical Health